Piazza del Campo is undoubtedly one of the most harmonious squares in the world.
Its layout lasted from 1293 to 1349. Its beautiful paving of red bricks is shell-shaped and split into nine sectors which symbolize the Council of Nine, the organ governing the city of Siena, at the time when the city was independent and at the top of its power.
Surrounded by medieval palaces, the square is dominated by the Palazzo Pubblico palace and its 102 meter high medieval tower dating from 1342. It is the second highest tower in Italy. The Palace where the administration of the city was practiced is currently the home to the Museo Civico (Municipal Museum).
At the opposite side, the Palazzo Sansedoni was built by assembling palaces of the first half of the thirteenth century.
This square is where the equestrian event of the Palio takes place, on 2nd of July and the 16th of August.
The fountain Fonte Gaia, inaugurated in 1386, was the first public fountain in the city. It was embellished in the 15th century with the statues and reliefs of Jacopo della Quercia, an original style, between the Gothic tradition and the innovations of the Renaissance.
The present sculptures are copies (realized by Tito Sarrocchi in 1868).
From the top of the Torre della Mangia, you can enjoy a splendid view of the square and the city.
Into the same category
- SienaSiena is a medieval town in the heart of the green Tuscany, between the hills of Chianti and the hills of Crete Senesi, which today has about 54,000 inhabitants. It ...
- Tickets and guided tours in SienaInto the same category
- Interactive map of SienaInto the same category
- Hotels and accommodations in SienaHotels and accommodations in Siena
- Palazzo Pubblico of SienaOn the Piazza del Campo square, the Palazzo Pubblico palace was built between 1297 and 1310 by the Government of the Nine as their own headquarters. Nowadays, it is still ...
- Cathedral of SienaThe Cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta is one of the most stunning and beautiful churches in Italy, with its white and black stones and marbles. It was built from 1136 to ...
- Museo CivicoThe Museum of the City of Siena, the Museo Civico, was installed in the year 1930. It is located on the first floor of Palazzo Pubblico. In addition to the ...
- The Palio of SienaThe Palio of Siena is a famous equestrian race which opposes the different districts of the city (called the contrade) since the middle ages. In the past, many Italian municipalities organized ...
- Short history of SienaAlthough it seems that the Etruscans had occupied the territory of Siena, its foundation dates from the time of the emperor Augustus where a Roman colony was established under ...
- Weather in SienaWeather at 5 days in Siena Complete weather forecast in Siena Into the same category