Pisa is a city of Tuscany with about 90,000 inhabitants. It is the seat of three universities. The river Arno crosses it. Famous for its leaning tower, it has many other things to offer.
The most important place of the city is the Place of the Miracles (Piazza dei Miracoli). In the Middle Ages, Pisan sailors returning from Palestine brought back the land which Christ had trodden, and buried it here in a defined perimeter. Hence the sacredness of the site.
On this square, declared to the patrimony of the humanity of Unesco, today called Piazza Duomo, rises the cathedral. This magnificent building was built in marble between 1064 and 1118, in a Romanesque style. Its bronze portals are the works of Bonanno Pisano and the pulpit is by Giovanni Pisano. Close to the duomo stands the famous Leaning Tower. It dates from the 12th century, is 55 meters high, and began to lean as soon as it was built!
Moreover, the majority of the buildings of this era built here lean, because of a very loose soil. In addition to the buildings of the Place des Miracles, there is also a tower on Santa Maria Square, the bell tower of the Church of Saint Nicholas and the church of Saint Michael.
Until the 14th century, Pisa was a much more active city than now, and one of the most important in Italy. It was one of the maritime republics, like Venice, Genoa and Amalfi. His navy was used to transport soldiers to the Holy Land.
Into the same category
- Hotels in Pisa Hotels in Pisa
- Piazza dei Miracoli The square Piazza dei Miracoli of Pisa, now called Piazza Duomo, is listed as a World Heritage by Unesco. Earth was brought back from the Holy Land into the Middle ...
- Pisa tower The famous Tower of Pisa is located on the Piazza dei Miracoli (or Piazza Duomo). It is 56 meters high. The beginnings of its construction date back to the 12th century, ...
- Visits and guided tours in Pisa Into the same category
- History of Pisa Perhaps Ligurian or Greek at its origins, Pisa was then an Etruscan city, before becoming a Roman colony. The Romans built a port there, which was very active. It later ...
- Weather in Pisa Weather forecast 5 days in Pisa Complete weather in Pisa Into the same category