The famous Tower of Pisa is located on the Piazza dei Miracoli (or Piazza Duomo). It is 56 meters high.
The beginnings of its construction date back to the 12th century, but it continued until the 14th century.
It is actually the campanile of the cathedral of Pisa.
At the end of its construction, the tower was already beginning to lean, due to a very loose soil.
Today, its inclination is about 5 °. To prevent it from tilting further and to risk breaking, 900 tonnes of lead counterweights were installed during a consolidation that lasted from 1990 to 2001.
The facade of the tower was recently restored in 2010.
Into the same category
- Pisa Pisa is a city of Tuscany with about 90,000 inhabitants. It is the seat of three universities. The river Arno crosses it. Famous for its leaning tower, it has many ...
- Hotels in Pisa Hotels in Pisa
- Piazza dei Miracoli The square Piazza dei Miracoli of Pisa, now called Piazza Duomo, is listed as a World Heritage by Unesco. Earth was brought back from the Holy Land into the Middle ...
- Visits and guided tours in Pisa Into the same category
- History of Pisa Perhaps Ligurian or Greek at its origins, Pisa was then an Etruscan city, before becoming a Roman colony. The Romans built a port there, which was very active. It later ...
- Weather in Pisa Weather forecast 5 days in Pisa Complete weather in Pisa Into the same category